I have just gotten back from the Art Walk in Apalachicola, Fla. If you haven't ever been there, it is a must stop destination. Plan to spend the night or two at least. No one gets in a hurry in this little sleepy, artsy, fishing town. So there is no need for any visitors to be.
Anxious and excited about my first visit to the Art Walk festival, I tried to get in touch with the Chamber to find out where I would be set up. They told me just to DROP by that morning! I don't work like that but I guess I need to start. So up I am early that morning walking to the Chamber. Did I mention you can walk wherever you go? I get to the park where I meet an artist who is setting up her stand.
"Great, I think," she will know something. "Sure, set up by me, "she says and I did. NOBODY else set up in the same area. I kept asking if she was sure and was assured that is where they all set up last year. I finally got the GUY, from the chamber, on the phone long after time to set up and found out where I was supposed to be. Actually right in front of where I was, just one street over.
- Well, it was cooler where I was.
- Yes, people did walk to my stand as well because of my location.
- Would I have seen more people where I should have been? YES
- Would that have made a difference? Maybe or Not.
I sold a painting (excited) I sold clothing with my paintings printed into the material. Sold a painting I was working on one cloudy afternoon sitting on the dock at the Inn.
What I learned from this event.
- Check out the site as much as possible before the event, YOURSELF!
- Call all who are involved if you don't feel informed until you get the answers you need.
- People are going to buy the least likely thing you think they will buy. (I May change my mind about this)
- I took paints to use during the day- great idea!
- Sunscreen (important even if under tent)
- BUG SPRAY !!!! (Never forget bug spray)
- I had water to drink in a small cooler. (Never forget it-saved me)
Now I look forward to the Pea Ridge Arts festival coming April, 29th. Can't wait to see what I'll learn at this one.